Theatre Major

Being a BA theatre major has been such a great experience. Regent really helps performers define who they are as actors and define who they are as Christians in the performing world. What I've learned most being here so far has been how to set up boundaries as a Christian performer and stand by them.

Continuing Education

Coming back to school after a two year break was very scary at first because I felt so far behind from all the people I graduated with, but God showed me that my timing here was perfect. And he has let me meet such wonderful people who have been where I'm at and they encouraged me. And once you're in the classes, you see that there are people of all ages and degrees and that age doesn't matter so much.

Christian Education

I use to say that I would never go to a Christian University because I thought they would be so strict and uptight. Also I didn't think a Christian University would be able to teach me theatre the way I needed it to be taught. Regent completely changed my perspective. They have a wonderful program and they really encourage us in our walk with God and show us how to co-exist in the world as a Christian.

Theatre Degree

Friday, March 26, 2010

a little bit of this.. a little bit of that....

So I’m a very busy little girl with lots of rehearsals and such.. people look at my schedule and are like wow jess… but its only for another 2 weeks and then the end of the semester comes around and I will rest.

So I’ve been sick and fighting a cold and I didn’t go to classes on wed. and Thursday and just rested and today I am feeling better. I still have a cough but that’s ok.. I’m alive and I’m around people again, which is great.

So recently I’ve felt like I’ve been in many places…. I’ve ad freak out moments and awesome Jesus moments and just complete exhaustion moments.. and the following jokes are ones I’ve found funny along with my other delusional friends.

What did the girl sea say when the boy sea asked her out? Shore

What happened to the girl sea when she pissed the boy sea off? She got beach-slapped

What did Batman say to Robin before he got in the car? Robin, get in the car.

Guy to girl: Do you have any Italian in you?

Girl to guy: No

Guy to girl: Do ya want some?

Ok so yes we laughed and laughed over these and much more… but that’s just where we are at. So sad I know.. but it was a great night of exhaustion.

So now onto my venting session. So I cant stand when people hear that I’m a theatre major and they just say “oh” and they put us down and say we should pick a major that we could get a job with after we graduate and they question what we can possibly do with a theatre degree. And its like they see us as children and want us to “grow up”. Well I have news for you. Not everyone who is a theatre major want to go and be famous. Its not that type of dream. And to be honest the likely hood of being famous in the theatre is very rare.. and we know this going into it. We just love to perform or tech or direct, playwright, stage manage.. there are so many things you can do in the theatre.. and no you make very much money… but its what we love and God put that desire to perform in us for a reason.. and you don’t even know what peoples dreams are.. I mean people ask me and they are blown away by what I feel God has called me to do… yes its intense and maybe it seems impossible to you “I’ve lost all my dreams” people and you’ve let your “reality” dictate your life, but I’m a fighter and yes I know life is hard and we can plan and things don’t happen the way we plan them, but God’s given me a dream and he told me to come to school for theatre so I’m here because HE is the author of my steps NOT money and careers.

So please get over your bitterness of how sucky your life is because you didn’t choose to fight for your dreams and Do something with your life. Enjoy life because it’s meant to be enjoyed.

Guys, theatre people aren’t just having fun 24 hr a day.. it’s hard work with late night hours and stress and strain and a huge character building scary, fun crazy life. And it really causes you to stretch and get out of your comfort zone…. So don’t hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment