Theatre Major

Being a BA theatre major has been such a great experience. Regent really helps performers define who they are as actors and define who they are as Christians in the performing world. What I've learned most being here so far has been how to set up boundaries as a Christian performer and stand by them.

Continuing Education

Coming back to school after a two year break was very scary at first because I felt so far behind from all the people I graduated with, but God showed me that my timing here was perfect. And he has let me meet such wonderful people who have been where I'm at and they encouraged me. And once you're in the classes, you see that there are people of all ages and degrees and that age doesn't matter so much.

Christian Education

I use to say that I would never go to a Christian University because I thought they would be so strict and uptight. Also I didn't think a Christian University would be able to teach me theatre the way I needed it to be taught. Regent completely changed my perspective. They have a wonderful program and they really encourage us in our walk with God and show us how to co-exist in the world as a Christian.

Theatre Degree

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Random Blah's

I don’t like being this way. I’m so disconnected. I feel like I spent all that time and being stretched and getting fine-tuned and I was fine tuned but somehow I got out of tune. I don’t know if I got to busy, or distracted or if I just stopped listening. I didn’t stop listening… but I did get distracted.

Here I am, on this emotional roller coaster, wanting to cry but not being able to. At what I thought was my breaking point. But it’s not. I can still handle more and when I started opening my mouth and stopped being scared that I would make the wrong decision… by communicating I felt better… and the situation isn’t worse.. its better and something I don’t have to be concerned about anymore.

I realize that relationships are more important to me than my school work, than theatre. I mean I love theatre, but people are always gonna be in my life and if things aren’t right with them, I cant focus… but if homework isn’t done or I’m falling behind in schoolwork or whatever… I can brush it off.

I’m a very compassionate person, and I care so deeply for people. And I have no problem saying I love you to people bc I honestly do love them. I love then how Christ loves them and its an intense passionate love.. not as in being in love with someone.. but just loving on them. I’m honored that my friends want to protect me and my family wants to protect me and I want to be protected, but I listen so hard and really think through what people are telling me and I decide for myself if I agree. If it really is for me or if parts of it are for me. Discernment is something I’m constantly working on. Discerning whats God and whats not God and discerning whats for now and whats for later.

As much of an independent person I am, I’m also very indecisive. Decisions scare me bc I don’t want to make mistakes and getting caught in a trap. and I realize that its good to make mistakes because that’s how I can learn but I try and learn from other peoples mistakes so I wont make the same ones. I don’t want to make a mistake that will make back track. Or be stuck for a season. I only have one direction I’m allowed to go and that is forward.

But I still have to decide how I will go about handling my business… how I handle relationships. Even if others I’m close to don’t agree.

College life is fun but it’s hard too. And I’m not fully myself here I realize. I go home and I’m a different person.. well not different but .. more comfortable I guess.. that I do some outrageous embarrassing things… that no one here at college has seen.

There’s apart of me I haven’t shown here at Regent. Why? I don’t know, maybe because I’ve only been here for 2 semesters and even though I’ve gotten close to people here, I’m not that intimately close as I am with my family.

So I’m going home this weekend to spend time with my family and I’ll be myself, and let that person inside that wont come out here out.. and figure out why.. because she’s the fun me.. the real me.. the me that draws people to me to see what that spark is that I have. People who I know without a doubt love me regardless of anything. And I don’t have to say anything and know exactly what to do. Whether its to hold me, or talk to me or just let me be… people here at Regent don’t me that intimately… I miss not being with someone and they just knowing something’s wrong and calling me up to see what’s up.

I miss my Poppa’s arms and my momma’s encouraging wisdom filled words. And I miss my cousin who I can goof with and who knows the ins and outs of me and I can talk to for hours on end about everything and nothing… and I miss my sister.. even though we really don’t know each other anymore.. I miss her and want to know her again.

So I’m going home so I can rest and be filled up again.

4 comments:

  1. Funny - it's the opposite for me. When I go home, I feel like the nasty side of me comes out. Also, I've often felt like the people who know me most are pretty familiar with all my vices. But those who know me only at surface level, tend to put me on a pedestal. Isn't it weird how situations differ among people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Jessica! You will love the ending if you remain faithful! I am sure your family misses you as much as you miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your blog has helped me get through rough times. Thanks for sharing this.

    christian education

    ReplyDelete